Bridget Ryan 1825-1890
Bridget was the daughter of Michael Hogan and Ellen Glasheen. Her first marriage was to Dennis McNamara in 1842. When Dennis died in 1854, Bridget had a tombstone erected in memory of him and their infant son, James.
Bridget had six children to Dennis and was married again to Jeremiah Ryan (the marriage proposal is detailed under Dennis McNamara). Bridget had nine children to Jeremiah. Information provided by Peter Ryan, great great grandson of Bridget and Jeremiah, said that Bridget was buried with her first husband, Dennis and her infant son, James McNamara.
The ‘Express’ of 27.12.1890 reported: ‘The wife of Mr Jeremiah Ryan, now of Manor House, Bacchus Marsh, died there somewhat unexpectedly, although the deceased lady had been an invalid for several months. Mrs Ryan was one of the earliest settlers in Bacchus Marsh and was the mother of a very large family. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, when a large attendance followed the remains to the place of interment, the old Roman Catholic Cemetery at Hopetoun, at the east end of Bacchus Marsh, where the first Catholic Church built in this district was erected.’
The Bridget and Jeremiah Ryan family lived in Bacchus Marsh until about 1880 when they moved to Clifton Hill. Bridget obviously returned to the ‘Marsh’ before her death. According to family rumour, Jeremiah’s sons, Patrick, Jeremiah jnr and William had many a row with their father and finally disappeared without a trace as did another brother, Michael. Jeremiah was the son of Jeremiah Ryan and Mary Kenny of Borrisoleigh (Two Mile Bouris). He arrived in Melbourne in 1854 because of news sent to him by his cousins, John and Mary Egan, Richard Cantwell and John Leahy. Jeremiah’s sister, Alice Ryan, married Patrick Nagle.